All posts tagged This website

I;ve been using “uptime” as a simple monitor of of all our web services – and somehow one of the services were in state “Paused”.

It took me a long time (6 months) to find out how to restart this – and as with most such cases the explanation was simple

201407272155.jpg

On the left hand site of the polling interval timer was a start/stop button……now I fell a bit stupid…

We have a brute force attack on our ssh link from the address 1.93.24.72

201407202205.jpg

201407202208.jpg

A very sensible BT engineer turned up to have a look at the cause behind the intermittent noise we have had on our ADSL line.

And he found that a lid had come off a junction box up a pole, and let rain in!

The noise profile looks better just now – long may it stay that way!

I’m having a problem with my WordPress installation and Xmlrpc publishing as of late last week, where I’m now getting a error message from all my XmlRpc editors whenever I try publishing anything.

Off to do some debugging.

From Ecto :

201404061010.jpg

and the console log is rather uninformative

201404061009.jpg

201403181954.jpg

The red bandwidth usage line is the main wireless router in the house – in the living room.

Our ADSL line seems to be getting better and better according to the Fritzbox stats (one major reason for buying the Fritzbox was the access to these stats)

201403141433.jpg

Very few errors on the line recently – and good signal to noise ration. The stats really shows how close we are to the attainable throughput on our line.

Excellent!

At long last I’ve managed to stabilise the code for graphing the bandwidth usage from the Fritzbox – i.e. our ADSL line.

201403140913.jpg

It’s not as straight forward as it should have been – but the Fritzbox does not offer these counters up in any normal sensible form such as SNMP.

So it’s a combination of a script. some Ruby code and Graphite.

It should be easy to deduce that I got up late today!

We have used a Fritzbox 7390 as our ADSL router for a couple of years now – and in general it has been good (with exception of the wireless throughput).

But a few hours ago it just lost all it’s port forwarding rules – not ideal.

So at the moment I’m trying to reconstruct all the forwarding rules from memory.

This means that we lost or web servers contact with the internet for 30 minutes or so earlier today.

My apologies to anyone trying to access the homepage of this site over the last week or so. I seem to have made a mistake in my Varnish config file – leading to the homepage not being accessible outside my own local area network. Not terribly useful for a blog.

Hopefully sorted now – although I clearly have more work to do to get Varnish up and running optimally.

Discovered another attack on one of our servers today – a number of external ip-addresses were trying a brute force attack to get access to on elf our sshd servers.

12345Next