All posts in house

After we installed a new boiler and a 10 port manifold to control our (waterborne) I needed to find out which heating loop from the manifold went where without spending weeks on my knees turning loops on and off manually, and then wandering around barefoot to find out which part of the floor was affected.

So I decided to put temperature sensors on every loop and a few other strategic points in the heating system.

So far I have 16 temperature sensors (DS18B20 sensors) controlled by 2 Raspberry pi Zero’s.


Why 2 Raspberry pi Zeros? – Well I ran into problems when I went above 10 sensors on the first raspberry Pi Zero, and decided to see if I could solve this part of the puzzle – as (for all I knew) there was a software or bandwidth limit stopping me at 10 sensors.

The DS18B20 uses a rather ingenious protocol called 1Wire, which enables a “multi drop” configuration of sensors originating from one set of wires. It can be run with 2 wires (parasitic power) or 3 wires (plus, round and data wires). I went for the last one – as using parasitic power sensed one step too far for me. So I used a breadboard attached to the Raspberry pi to make it easier to experiment.


I have had quite a few problems with this – even though the circuit is simple :


I’m using a bit more of a “star” configuration, as each sensor has approx 1m of cable connected to it.

I had a number of problems where the Raspberry Pi’s stopped working at “random” intervals – and lot of experiments with resistor values, swapping of power supplies and so on did not sort the problem out.

The solution to the problem (for me in this particular case) turned out to be the wireless connection to the LAN, as soon as I put a access point close to the Raspberry Pi;s – all stability issues of this type went away!

(More about the setup later)

This is a test to check my WordPress setup on a new server – sorry.


This is our little, but very colourful, maple tree. It has managed to survive for many years – we even thought it had died and put it int the garage for a winter, but it recovered


This is from outside in Milford, Surrey in the UK today.


Actually – the curve is for the whole of October – but for today it looks like this on SmartCitizen.


The link to this sensor is :

We have 2 BT Signalassist boxes in the house – and they work very well, we are now able to have clear mobile phone reception in most rooms, as long as we do not walk between rooms.

But I had to set up rules in the firewall to make the system work, and looking at the firewall statistics I’m quite surprised about the amount of data used by the boxes.


Ignore the first site on the list, the BT signal assist box in the living room is the second line. And none of the mobile phones are in use at the moment. Nor is mobile data being used.

We did try to use O2’s WiFi calling, but it proved very unstable in our case, and it had one fatal flaw, It did not transmit SMS’es to the mobile phones. And these days with 2 Factor Authentication that proved to be a big problem for us, as we had to walk outside every time we used a account that send a on-time key back through SMS’es.

SMS’es actually work with the Signalassist. And at £19 it’s a very inexpensive way for anyone to sort out the type of reception problems we had, ie. very bad reception.