A good graph from the ADSL/VDSL router :
The blue line illustrates what the router thinks is the maximum acheivable data rate on the line. The green line(s) is the data rate negotiated with the ADSL provider.
As far as I can see whenever the link has been stable for a few days (i.e. low error rates on the link) the 2 ends negotiate a new data rate based on the maximum rate and what the maximum throughput is set for your particular link (i.e. what is the maximum rate you have signed up for).
Installed raspbmc (the Raspberry PI port of XBMC – the home theatre software) on my release 1 Raspberry Pi.
And it worked almost immediately as can be seen in the picture below:
(Click for larger)
Even the audio over the HDMI cable works. This is quite amazing on such a small form factor. The movie is actually stored on a Mac Mini – so everything is accessed across the network as well. I am impressed.
I originally wanted to test the AirPlay functionality – but could not really get it working for more than a second at a time, so I will probably have to wait until I get a bit more time to fiddle around with the installation and tuning (or wait for my Release 2 Raspberry Pi) to see if I can get this working.
Bought some new coffee beans today at a local shop (The only beans they had btw. – it is quite hard to get beans at any local shop)
And this is the label – clearly not written for this purpose :
(Click for larger)
“Perfect for drip filtering” – so not too keen on anyone buying the beans then?
As of this morning :
Notice the “Max DSLAM” speed – and that the “Current throughput” keeps on tracking very close to that. It went up 10 Mbit/s in the last 24 hours. The “Attainable throughput” of 73 Mbit/s indicates that there is headroom on the line to improve the throughput even more.
the Fritzbox now shows a download speed of 49 Mbit/s. Up almost 14 Mbit/s since yesterday.
It will be interesting to see when we’ll get back to the 80Mbit/s.
now down to 35 Mbit/s! This is not improving.
Slightly puzzling that the S/N ratio is as high as it is though.
My iPhone (4S) has been dropped numerous times, and it has a number of small chips along the edges of the front glass – and as I have ruined several Invisible Shield protectors I decided to try one of the new glass screen protectors – as it says in the ads:
SPIGEN SGP’s Steinheil GLAS.t is made to protect the LCD from damage and scratches with specially processed glass that has been reinforced to increase shock absorbency.The entire surface of the GLAS t is transparent and the back side is covered with a strong silicon adhesive for easy installation. When installed, there are no gaps between the LCD and the GLAS t which means the touch screen’s sensitivity is unaffected. To prevent any excess force from coming in contact with the edges of the screen protector we highly recommend that a case is used with the GLAS.t.
* As this is a glass product, please note that the edges of the glass are the most vulnerable areas. We highly recommend that you use case along with your GLAS.t to avoid chipping or cracking the edges of your GLAS.t.
[From iPhone 4 / 4S Screen Protector GLAS.t Premium Tempered Glass Series | SPIGEN SGP]
Notice the “Caution” bit – it seems like a bit of a downside.
But on the upside – it is really “better than invisible” on the iPhone, as it actually is a lot more resistant to fingermarks, and so thin that I can use it with my normal iPhone case.
I’ve used Memcached for a number of years now – but lately I’ve started moving my own stuff to Redis.
So I am pleased to see a simple administrative monitoring program for Redis – Redmon.
Our Infinity line started life at 78 Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up. But has in the last month or so progressively gotten slower and slower, as can be seen here :
It’s now down to 39 Mbit/s down and 18 Mbit/s up.
I’m now resetting contacts etc. to see if the problem is local or not.
And the reason is clear :
there does not seem to be any higher frequencies getting through at the moment ….
Domotiga is a very powerful home automation system that is seriously lacking in documentation – which occasionally makes it a exercise in frustration when you try to use some of the features.
On example of this is graphing – where I have problems understanding why the graphs show up the way they do, with the Y-axis showing nonsense values, such as this :
until I came upon this in the forums :