Archive for November, 2010

I had to set up a Belkin wireless router today – and when it came to encryption I started off using WPA – all ok on the PC’s I sued, but the Mac’s, iPhone’s and iPad’s in the house refused to authenticate.

In the end it turned out that I had to use the extremely long Hex password – and from then on everything worked.

I updated our FHEM home automation installation today from the CVS repository as there seems to be quite a few new changes to FHEM that should make it more flexible – including new pages optimised for the iPhone.

So far so good – everything seems to work.

A central service in our home automation system is provided by Memcache – a in-memory “database” that sits on one of our servers and is available to all the various components of the home monitoring/home automation system.

All measurement points and other information that should be available to other software is registered here – and it currently looks like this if I dump out the contents

201011281149.jpg

every line is a key/value pair where the part before the “=” equals sign is the label, and everything after this is the value(s).

In some cases (where it is just a number) it refers back to the jeenode ID number, otherwise it is just a label to easier memorise things. For most measurements I have also added a timestamp to show last update of the values.

A lot of the data is also added to a MySQL database sitting on a different server for plotting graphs etc.

The labels with the word “roomstring” are all reported from a jeenode running a variation of the “ROOMS” sketch (and rooms plug board) on a jeenode, and can contain light levels, humidity levels and temperature measurements.

The labels prefixed by “fht” are reports from 2 FTH80B electronic thermostats connected to a FHEM home automation system.

The labels prefixed “outside” and “library” are reported from a WS2350 weather station connected to LWC – (Lightsoft Weather Center) software running on a Mac Mini.

The labels prefixed “garage” are reported from a Ethernet attached Arduino in the garage with a variety of sensors close to the electronic catflap.

image1578318419.jpg

image447843358.jpgThis is the iPhone view of our home heating control system. 2 rooms now updated and controlled through the new thermostats and wireless actuator valves on the radiators.

So far so good. As you can see in these plots the actuator control works well, but is currently mainly being controlled by the FHT80b thermostats. That will change over the next few days.

image1799700432.jpgWow. Clapham Junction is modernising.

The monitoring of the new radiator heating controls is starting to work out ok

201011172151.jpg

neat – I have just ordered more.

image423411652.jpg

image361343401.jpgit’s foggy out there!

From the open source FHEM home automation software – using a CUL module to control our radiators through wireless FHT80 thermostats

201011131600.jpg

the red line shows the temperature the thermostat sees, the green line shows the percentage open each actuator on the radiators are set to (and report back).

12Next